Willingham & Coté, P.C.
Real Estate Law

At Willingham & Coté, our Lansing real estate attorneys have gained a reputation of excellence in the real estate industry and have been published in various publications as well as received outstanding ratings on national peer reviewed websites such as Super Lawyers.

Our team understands the complexities of real estate law and is here to help you protect your interests, whether through legal advice, contract preparation, negotiations or in the courtroom.

Our attorneys can assist you to transfer property to others, negotiate and draft contracts relating to the sale of real estate, land contracts, handle property disputes with neighbors, negotiate with financial institutions regarding mortgage disputes, draft mortgages, handle commercial landlord tenant disputes, handle property tax appeals, handle quiet title actions, draft leases, split property, and correct errors in title.

Real Estate Law Clients

Ranging from individuals to corporate entities, we serve a wide variety of clients including:

  • Realtors and real estate brokers
  • Property management companies
  • Home buyers and home sellers
  • Commercial property owners
  • Investment companies
  • Title companies
  • Small-business owners
  • Appraisers

Corporate Real Estate Blog

View all

Contact a Lansing Real Estate Attorney

Whether you’re a business seeking legal assistance to draft a leasing agreement or an individual looking to dispute a property tax assessment, our real estate attorneys are committed to help you with all your real estate needs.

Lansing Real Estate Attorney Services

Willingham & Coté’s real estate attorneys have many years of experience and expertise in all areas of real estate law including acquisition, finance, leasing, development, and sale. Our attorneys provide legal services to business entities, lenders, and individuals in the following areas:

Drafting and reviewing agreements for buying, selling, and leasing of commercial and residential real estate

Reviewing real estate title documents, surveys, and environmental reports to ensure that clients may use the property for its intended purposes and that the property is free of liens, encumbrances, and other potential problems

Negotiation and litigation of property tax disputes in the Michigan Tax Tribunal

Litigation regarding title and boundary disputes

Preparation and review of loan documentation

Mortgage and land contract foreclosures

Forbearance and loan modification agreements as well as other workout transactions

Structuring tax deferred real estate transactions

Preparing and reviewing construction contracts for both residential and commercial developments

Real Estate Law FAQs

Why do I need a commercial real estate lawyer?

A commercial real estate lawyer can help you navigate the complexities of real estate transactions. Typically more complex than residential real estate transactions, commercial real estate matters can involve complicated documents and processes associated with the commercial real estate process.

A commercial real estate lawyer can assist in negotiating/drafting purchase agreements and leases, review title documents, surveys and environmental reports, and assist with zoning and closing matters.

What are the differences between commercial real estate transactions and residential real estate transactions?

With both commercial and residential real estate transactions, you’ll find that many of the concepts are the same. However, there are some notable differences. Commercial transactions involve liens and title issues, along with zoning issues and potential environmental contamination. Residential real estate transactions are more highly regulated and uniform. This requires the use of proper state and federal forms.

What are the different kinds of real estate deeds?

Warranty deed – provides the seller a warranty that the seller has a good and marketable title to the property. In the event of a title dispute, the seller is obligated to correct the problem or is liable for damages caused to the buyer.

Quit Claim deed – used when the seller is conveying only the interest that party has in the property, if any. This is not common in sales transactions but is used generally when property is being conveyed by gift or conveyance for no monetary consideration.

When should I hire a real estate lawyer?

If you are looking to sell a property, your real estate broker will ask you to sign a listing agreement. Before signing, it is advisable that you hire a lawyer to review this agreement. Depending upon the complexity of the transaction, you will also likely want your lawyer to draft or negotiate your purchase agreement. If you are considering buying property, you should consult a lawyer to review the purchase agreement and any buyer/broker’s form. Commercial real estate lawyers are equipped to guide you through every aspect of the real estate process, including drafting and negotiating sales and lease agreements, addressing environmental issues and settling zoning disputes.


Scott Breen

Scott A. Breen

Torree Breen

Torree J. Breen