Dorm Fridge, Laundry Bag, and Durable Power of Attorney for Healthcare

posted on June 15, 2017 by

by Estate & Gifts, Divorce & Family Law, Heather Gilkey


Congratulations to our 2017 High School graduates! Before your child goes off to college or out into the world – you might be making some last minute purchases for their dorm room or new apartments.  However, there is one item you might have overlooked! 

That important item is a document entitled a  Durable Power of Attorney for Healthcare. Once your child turns 18, he or she is legally considered an adult. Even though mom and dad are most likely still financially supporting this young adult – if your child befalls an unfortunate incident where he or she is unable to make his or her own healthcare decisions – turning 18 takes away the  automatic right of mom and dad to make health care decisions. Without a Durable Power of Attorney for Healthcare in place, the process for a parent to make healthcare decisions for their young adult entails court involvement, substantial legal costs and delayed involvement in his/her care. Don’t delay, send your young adult into the world with a Durable Power of Attorney for Healthcare. 

If you have questions about this or any other legal documents your young adult may need, please contact Heather Gilkey at Willingham & Cotè, P.C.


Sign up for our Newsletter

Please include your mailing address to receive a print copy of our quarterly newsletter and/or your email address to receive the newsletter to your inbox.
Enter the code shown above
* Required

Have questions? Want to learn more? Feel free to

get in touch »